A University of Delaware student is facing charges after allegedly strangling another student to unconsciousness and holding her captive in a Newark apartment for four hours before throwing her down a flight of stairs, police said.

The student, 20-year-old Brandon Freyre, was “officially separated from the university and is not allowed on campus,” UD spokeswoman Andrea Boyle Tippett said.

The incident happened in the early morning hours of Oct. 8 at an apartment in the 100 block of East Main Street, according to Lt. Andrew Rubin, a spokesman for the Newark Police Department.

Court documents indicate the victim had previously been in a romantic relationship with Freyre, but they had since broken up.

Freyre, a member of the Kappa Delta Rho fraternity, was jealous that the victim was attending a party at a rival fraternity, court documents indicate. The two were arguing via text message.

After the victim left the party, she ran into Freyre and his roommates, and they invited her to come back to their apartment. The victim agreed, later telling police that Freyre was acting normal at the time.

Once they got to the apartment, Freyre and the victim went to his bedroom, where the attack happened, according to court documents.

The two began arguing about the party, and Freyre smashed the victim’s phone and sprayed orange spray paint in her eyes, according to court documents. While the victim was incapacitated by the paint, Freyre hit her with a fan and other objects in the room.

The victim screamed and said she wanted to go home and tried to push Freyre away. Freyre responded by covering her mouth with his hand and then picking her up and slamming her to the ground several times, according to court documents.

The victim screamed for help, hoping Freyre’s roommates would hear, but no one came to her rescue, police said.

Freyre stood over the victim, placed one hand around her neck and the other over her mouth and began to strangle her while telling her he was going to kill her so she couldn’t call the police and ruin his life, according to court records.

The victim lost consciousness for an unknown amount of time and she woke up to Freyre slapping her in the face. She scratched Freyre to get him off of her, and then he blocked the exit to the bedroom. Eventually, he threw her down a flight of stairs, at which point she was able to escape, police said.

She called police and was treated at a hospital for non-life-threatening injuries. Responding officers reported she had severe bruises and cuts on her face, bruises around her neck from the strangulation, bruises on her thighs and scrapes on her knees.

Freyre, who is from Arnold, Md., was arrested at his Newark apartment and charged with second-degree kidnapping, second-degree assault, strangulation, terroristic threatening, third-degree assault and criminal mischief. He was jailed after failing to post $38,100 cash bail.

Load comments