The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
February-March 1949: Within specified guidelines, Newark would annex the land of James Hall as he requested. City needed to acquire private sewer system on Annabelle Street now owned by National Vulcanized Fibre Co. DP&L agreed to reimburse Newark $175 for materials misappropriated by a sub-contractor. Increasing water storage tanks was under consideration.
Hollingsworth Co. was connected to storm sewer system. Leon Potts could enclose a front porch, provided it not be used for commercial purposes. Tree trimmers had to provide adequate liability insurance before winning bids to work in town. Visiting Nurses Assoc. received a $100 donation. An extra battery and generator for the police car was placed in custody of town engineer. The cost of connecting new Newark High to sewer was not Council’s responsibility. A tentative item in the new charter would authorize a stipend of $5 per meeting for councilmen. Dr. Duenner wanted to add a breezeway and garage to his house, but his neighbor objected because it would be too close to the property line. Councilman Dann offered to mediate the issue.
Lack of sewer access on Courtney and Manuel Streets was an ongoing deterrent to building new homes. Also, storm water drainage was an ongoing issue on Beverly Road. Commander Cooch of the American Legion and Commander Maclary of the VFW were nominated as co-chairs of Memorial Day parade. DuPont Co. asked for water service on Elkton Road, 1¾ miles from city limits. The city would sell them water, but DuPont had to pay for installation of piping.