A Newark-area man, who told police he was wanted on a murder charge in the Dominican Republic but was later released from custody by federal authorities, has been indicted by a grand jury on drug charges relating to an Aug. 31 arrest in Maryland, according to court records.

Yeudy Campusano-Aguero, whose last-known address was in the Allandale Village Apartments east of Newark, is facing three charges: possession with intent to deliver crack cocaine, possession of crack cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Rising Sun, Md., Police Chief Francis “Chip” Peterson said recently that Campusano-Aguero is again being sought by law enforcement. Maryland State Police would neither confirm nor deny that its Warrant Apprehension Task Force was actively looking for the suspect.

In charging documents filed by Rising Sun Police, Campusano-Aguero, 30, was driving through town around 8 p.m. Aug. 31 when officers observed him crossing the yellow lines, not making complete stops and driving above the posted speed limits.

After activating his lights and sirens, the officer noted a lot of movement inside the silver Chevrolet Malibu until the time the car finally came to a stop in 500 block of Joseph Biggs Highway.

A search of the car uncovered a knotted bag containing an off-white chunky substance determined to be crack cocaine, two cell phones and $260 in cash in varying denominations. A total of 4 grams of drugs was confiscated, the charging documents report.

During the roadside stop, one officer received a phone call from an informant who reported that Campusano-Aguero is known as “Poppy.” The caller also indicated the suspect is a native of the Dominican Republic and is known to be a seller of crack cocaine, pills and heroin.

Once a translator from the Maryland State Police arrived, Campusano-Aguero waived his Miranda rights and told police he “does in fact sell drugs to subsidize his income, as his primary source of income is selling cars,” the charging documents reported.

During questioning, Campusano-Aguero told police he was wanted in his home country on suspicion of murder.

Police also gained access to the cellphones and read numerous text messages indicating involvement in the sale and distribution of controlled dangerous substances.

When he was told he was under arrest on drug charges, Campusano-Aguero laid on the floor of the holding cell, acting as if he was suffering some kind of medical issue. He was taken to Union Hospital in Elkton but released when no medical issues could be found.

Police also determined that the two forms of identification inside the suspect’s car were not from legitimate sources, so there was no way to determine his true identity.

A Cecil County Circuit Court commissioner ordered Campusano-Aguero held without bond. While in the Cecil County Detention Center, Campusano-Aguero hinted he was in the country eight years past a two-year visa. Just as a bail review promised his freedom for $2,500, Immigration and Customs Enforcement took him into custody. ICE released him days later, citing “humanitarian reasons.”

Campusano-Aguero has an initial hearing scheduled for Nov. 20 in Cecil County Circuit Court on the indictment charges.

Load comments