You are the owner of this article.
top story

Charges filed in two Newark dog attacks

  • 1

Two Newark residents are facing charges related to two separate pit bull attacks in the northern part of the city.

The first happened around 10:15 a.m. in the 200 block of Wilshire Lane in Fairfield, according to Lt. Andrew Rubin, a spokesman for the Newark Police Department.

Two people were walking their two poodles on a leash when they stopped to talk to neighbor James Jaycox. As they talked, two large dogs inside Jaycox’s house began barking and then pushed their way out of the front door, Rubin said.

One of the dogs, a pit bull terrier, attacked one of the poodles in what police called a “vicious” attack. The poodle suffered serious injuries and had to be taken to an animal hospital for emergency surgery, but it is expected to survive.

Jaycox, 62, was charged with keeping a vicious animal and allowing a dog to run at large.

Jaycox was dog-sitting the pit bull for his daughter, who was fostering the animal, police said. The pit bull has been returned to the Pennsylvania-based rescue group where it came from.

The second, unrelated dog attack happened at 10:35 a.m. Jan. 12 on East Mill Station Drive in West Branch, Rubin said.

The victim was walking his black lab when he was approached by four dogs that were running loose after escaping from a yard on nearby Delram Drive.

One of the dogs, a pit bull terrier, first went after the victim’s dog, Rubin said. When the victim intervened, he was bit on his leg. Passersby jumped in to help break up the fray.

The victim was treated for his injuries, and his dog was taken to an animal hospital. The dog survived, Rubin said.

The pit bull was taken into custody by the Delaware Office of Animal Welfare and remains in quarantine, Rubin said.

Police obtained warrants charging the pit bull’s owner with 13 offenses, including one count of keeping a vicious animal and four counts each of letting a dog run at large, keeping an unlicensed dog and not having proof of a dog’s vaccinations.

Rubin declined to release the owner’s name because an arrest has not yet been made.

Load comments