The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
June-July 1948: Eric Mayer would receive a permit to remodel 92 E. Main St. if neighbors had no objections. R. T. Jones could add an addition to his funeral parlor if neighbors had no objections.
Robert Neeson was appointed town supervisor at $257 per month. M. Amick was temporarily appointed town engineer. Allan Hart reduced his apartment project to 60 units on the Mayer property and received a permit with several stipulations. Fines collected by the magistrate in May totaled $551. Purchase of a street sweeper was postponed.
Action was started to acquire rights-of-way for south side sewer project. Extension of Haines Street awaited formal dedication of land by Bio-Chemical Research Foundation. Wilson and Company had to pay the same electrical rate as Danita Hosiery. Dr. Ely could build a house on extended Haines Street, but must install septic tank to meet state health requirements, and the city would provide water and electricity. Equipment could only be loaned out on authority of city engineer or supervisor. Motion passed to guarantee city employees vacations depending on years of service.
Tax rate for 1948 was set at 30 cents/$100 valuation. Zoning designations for Elkton Road and East Main Street were established, as were definitions of single family and garage. Land in George Read Village to be assessed at $10 per foot. Francis Lindell, Jr. appointed to work at $1 per hour in the electrical department. Mr. Kadow wanted to develop his land southwest of Orchard Road and asked to connect to water, electricity and sewer when available. He also asked council to extend town limits to include his property.