The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a regular column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
May-June 1951-Parking meters were paying off — $4,773.00 deposited on account. Meters to be removed from north side of Main Street from Academy Street to post office to relieve congestion at traffic light. Council would refund carnival license fee paid by Moose Lodge because the carnival was a financial failure, this not to set a precedent for future non-profit carnivals.
Study to be made concerning vacant lots with no sidewalks adjacent, with aim of correcting this. D. Cataldi and H. Gregg were hired as police officers on six months trail basis. Mr. Tweed hired to paint new Council quarters in Academy Building and bids sought for flooring. F. Allan Cooch received permit for alterations to 248 W. Main Street. Permit issued to turn 26 E. Cleveland Avenue into two apartments.
The prospective buyer of Lynch property on East Main Street wanted permission to display grave markers on property and was told to follow procedures for zoning. A complaint of smelly water in a ditch on Courtney Street were referred to Board of Health. Shrubbery obstructing sight-line at intersections must be cut back.
Smoke from C-D Fibre Co. and PRR siding on Main Street was causing complaints. Alpha Gamma Tau wanted parking restricted to one side of South College Avenue. Bids sought to widen South College along former Evans property, add gutters and curbing to other streets, put tar and chips on some streets, pave others. Remediation of congestion at E. Main and Tyre Avenue needed.