The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a regular column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
October-November 1950: James Hall wanted to develop land on Dallam Road. The town would donate its usual $100 toward Halloween parade. Tree trimming ordered on private property would be done by professionals.
The bacteria count was high in milk from one dairy. All hourly employees would receive an 8 cents/hour wage increase. One-block-long Lawson Street had two street lights ordered.
Mrs. Thoroughgood was questioning Mr. Poffenberger’s recent work on Delaware Avenue. The Board of Adjustments would investigate. There were on-going problems with delinquent water bills. Service would be cut off in 10 days if not paid. Plumber Stoll was not following through on his contract to install water meters in George Read Village.
Watson America Legion Post given permission to connect to town sewer. Council was looking into obtaining the Academy Building for town offices. The State Highway Department was not interested in building overpass or underpass on South Chapel Street for Pennsylvania railroad crossing because the cost would be prohibitive.
Rent control and voter eligibility were under discussion by Council. Christmas lighting would be Thanksgiving to Jan. 1st, with the city splitting the cost with Chamber of Commerce. Several water main extensions were OK’d. As happened when he did not agree or had unanswered questions, Councilman Coverdale went “not voting”.
There was ongoing controversy between residents and Danita Hosiery Co. employees about street parking. Danita was urged to act quickly in providing off-street parking. Furnace ash collection would be initiated. Some sewer projects had not been assessed to property owners.