Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
September-December 1944: Double parking on Main Street was causing problems. Residents around Danita Hosiery complained about loud radio music at night, and the company was told to turn radios off by 10 p.m..
A new bridge across the creek was planned for North Chapel Street, replacing a wooden covered bridge. Rev. Dr. Arthur Jackson thanked council for its donation of $85 to the Playground Association. One-hour parking signs on Main Street were removed. Earl Lynch was sworn in as a special officer to serve as needed without pay.
Weeds needed to be cut in “the Chinaman’s alley”. This was a laundry two or three doors west of North Chapel Street on the north side of East Main Street. Chlorination of town water supply needed to be evened out. William Crow’s request for a pay raise and two weeks vacation with pay was denied. Embree Brown’s fence was not adequate to keep his bull from getting out, and he was told to mend fence or keep bull tied up.
Due to wartime manpower shortages, council couldn’t promise when two trees in front of Richard Cooch’s house on West Main Street would be removed due. George Martin wanted to open an auto repair shop at 44 E. Main St., but the request was temporarily tabled. A professional engineering assessment of the sewage treatment needs of the town was ordered. Carl Nelson’s request to open a live poultry market on Haines Street was denied.
See the original minutes at Pencader Heritage Museum, 2029 Sunset Lake Road. (Rt. 72 south of Newark.) Regularly open first and third Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Other times by appointment. Contact the website pencaderheritage.org or call 302-737-5792 for an appointment. Family friendly, handicapped accessible and always free.