The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
October 1948: Archie Peel was denied a Courtney Street building permit because sanitary sewer was not available, and cesspools were prohibited. A sewer line along Manuel Street to Courtney would cost $5,000 to $7,000. Council took a six-month lease on Miller’s land for the city dump at cost of $30 per month. Land for Dallam Road was formally conveyed to council by Brinton and Rees. The cost of tapping into city water was raised from $18 to $30. Town storage area was enclosed by cyclone fence.
Streets in George Read Village were to be resurfaced with tar and chips for the winter. Another truck was needed because some workers had to use personal vehicles. Neal Carter would be paid $5 for each signature he obtained from heirs of John Smith releasing land on Corbit Street and New London Road. Without all heirs signing off condemnation proceedings would follow.
Nov. 19 was declared “Marine Corps Day.” Mrs. Gulledge expressed appreciation for emergency first aid by Sgt. Hill and George Neighbors when her son Hugh had a piece of apple lodged in his throat. Harold Sheaffer, of 75 E. Main St., was given permission to connect his parking lot to the city lot. Nick Sanborn was cited for failure to lay a sidewalk fronting his property on South Chapel Street.
The Junior Chamber of Commerce requested a fill of ashes on vacant Courtney Street lot to make a playground. Ashes were collected weekly by city from residences.
November: Oscar Trivits and George Martin won quarterly contracts to provide gasoline to city.