The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
May 1950: Mrs. Frank Widdoes offered to deed the town a lot on North Street for $1 in lieu of $99 in sewer assessment. The offer was accepted. Mr. and Mrs. William Schaen and Mr. & Mrs. Irvin Crowe sold lots adjoining town water plant to the town.
William Lynch was reimbursed $199.80 for damages to his car caused by a loose manhole cover. The town would install water mains for University Garden Apartments, to be reimbursed over five years with 6 percent interest. Mr. Nardo and the town shared cost of paving between town building and Nardo’s store.
James Holcomb requested paving of Ritter Lane to benefit houses he planned to build. He was told street would be paved as houses were built. When Cuthbert Webber’s house was completed at Beverly and Winslow roads, sanitary sewer would be installed. Mr. Phillips had loaned the town a rain gauge, which he wanted returned. Henceforth, Mr. Phillips would apprise the town of rainfall totals monthly.
Thomas Anderson of Wilson Street was granted extended payment period for sewer assessment which he didn’t know he owed on recently purchased property. Andrew Hofer complained that his neighbor could shut off water to his home at any time as there was only one line coming into property. The town agreed to lay additional line.
American Legion Post #25 wanted a black police officer as a crossing guard at Corbit Street and New London Road. Request was table until Police Chief Cunningham could be consulted.