The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
April-May 1949: A few pay increases authorized last month were rescinded. Irvin Chalmers was appointed assistant water superintendent at $57.50 per week. Marion Amick, town engineer and Robert Neeson, town supervisor, were given one month notice of termination. Arthur Hauber was named chief town supervisor at $350 per month.
William Barnard owned 75 acres along East Cleveland Avenue and offered to dedicate a 60-foot right-of-way if the town would supply water and sewer connection. He owned cabins on the property and wanted to make a community center. Council agreed to install a 1-inch water line and one sewer tap. Council agreed to keep the War Memorial Board in good condition until a permanent marker could be erected. A proposal to build road bumps on South College Avenue to control speeding was referred to Police Committee. Town would address envelopes for Recreation Committee free of charge.
Sewage from UD was emptying near Wilbur Street, and a stream near the sewage treatment plant was contaminated. Two cases of typhoid were reported last year. Cost would be $4,000 and work expedited to run sewer line to five houses on North College. Roads needed resurfacing in George Read Village and lighting added to Bassett Place, only one side of Bassett Place being in town limits. Red Men’s Home requested its property be tax exempt as it as a charitable organization. Resurfacing the intersection of Delaware and South College avenues would cost $1,900. John McCool’s bill of $141 for 44 loads of gravel on Darlington Lane was tabled since he hadn’t been authorized to do work.