Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
November-December 1947: The board of health requested that Newark continuing testing milk for sale in town rather than depending on the state board of health. An oil-burning furnace was installed in Town Office. The Bio-Chemical Research Foundation dedicated land for the extension of Haines Street.
Resident Earl McGinnis recommended that proper marking of traffic lanes on Chapel and Main streets would be of assistance during heavy congestion. A contract for the north sewer was awarded at $75,661 to Construction Corporation of Pennsylvania. Council offered to assume control of public utilities and streets in George Read Village from Federal Public Housing Authority if there was no cost to the town.
A tower ladder and ring assembly was purchased for the town light and power truck, cost $894.00. Charter revisions were being proposed and would be presented to General Assembly. Newark Trust Company received permission to erect a clock on the sidewalk in front of the bank. Gravel would be applied on Hillside Road and Forest Lane for 400 feet south from West Main.
There were no objections after advertising so Southern States received a 12-month permit to slaughter livestock at its locker plant on Elkton Road. Dr. Musselman would be reimbursed $2,000 for a six-inch water main he installed on Hillside Road and Forest Lane after he dedicated the streets to the town. George Brinton wanted water service to the Green property on Creek Road. Water storage tanks to be inspected for sanitary purposes. Cash in treasury Dec. 31, 1947, was $6,074.99.
See the original minutes at Pencader Heritage Museum, 2029 Sunset Lake Road. (Rt. 72 south of Newark.) Regularly open first and third Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Other times by appointment.