The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
July-August 1948: Milk from four dairies had unfavorable bacteria counts when tested, so the board of health would take action. Apparently the front of Deluxe Candy Store was damaged by city workers, and council approved repair costs. Councilman Ramsey presented his resignation due to ill health, but council offered a three-month leave instead.
The Pennsylvania Railroad wanted to close the South Chapel Street crossing, but council wanted to negotiate with railroad. Under a proposed new ordinance, the building setback on the full length of Main Street to be 18 feet, allowing for widening Main Street and still having adequate sidewalks. Many merchants protested, wanting the present 12 feet maintained.
The Newark Recreation Association was granted a permit to sponsor a street dance on Academy. John Fader requested a permit for an alteration to his store at 55 E. Main St.. The roadbed of Indian Road would be graded and graveled once deeded to the city. Request by city engineer to hire a part-time draftsman to update city maps was rejected as was request to go to a 40-hour work week from 44.
Councilman Hopkins objected to extending water service outside town limits until such time as water lines were improved especially in the eastern side of town. Councilman Hopkins asked that all correspondence and phone calls with Delaware Power & Light be reported to council. The motion was passed, although Councilman Dann said it was ridiculous and voted nay. A second motion struck phone calls from above and this motion passed. Minor wording changes made to zoning map.