Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
June-August 1947: Land to extend Haines Street was purchased at $4 per foot. Building permits issued for new construction to Dennison, Hicks, Musselman, and Swan provided no objections after one week’s advertising in the Newark Post. Leroy Clayville requested a six-month permit to place a trailer on B&O RR property at North College, provided water and sewer facilities available. Neighbors Thomas Young and Eugene Stiltz objected, so permission was denied.
Council requested that PRR Company waive yearly rentals for pipe line right-of-way. Lawrence Williams was granted a permit to build an African-American church on Church Street. Council agreed to accept from Federal Public Housing Authority, George Read Village in its entirety as officially part of the town of Newark. The neighborhood had been built and owned by the federal government during World War II as housing for war workers.
Julian Jones Company won a contract for $20,911 to do street improvements. Electrical service upgrades in town were under discussion, and specifications for north side sewer were being drawn. B&O RR would be contacted with complaints about smoke from trains stopped in town. National 5 & 10 received permit for an addition to the store. Aetna HH&L was able to justify number and cost of ambulance runs. They were required, by formal agreement, to assist County Police ambulance service when needed. A request was made for a traffic light at Academy Street and East Park Place. The sewage disposal plant was fenced at a cost of $3,113.
See the original minutes at Pencader Heritage Museum, 2029 Sunset Lake Road. (Rt. 72 south of Newark.) Regularly open first and third Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Other times by appointment.