The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
May-June 1949: James Bell requested free water for his swimming pool because neighborhood children were allowed use of it. He was told to pay all arrears before the request would be considered. He later paid up and was allowed $100 in water for summer.
Ruth Morris of Orchard Road and David Poffenberger of Delaware Avenue were told their requests for remodeling/building permits would be contingent on neighbors’ approval. Preparations for Firemen’s and American Legion’s carnivals were approved. Harold Sheaffer’s request to rezone to “Business” his property on Main Street, east of the Pomeroy Railroad, was denied. Adding parking meters was discussed, and council wanted statistics from neighboring towns. However, a large number of merchants were against meters.
The tax rate for 1949-1950 was set at .30/$100 assessment. Newark had not purchased land for a city playground/social center within past five years, so it would forfeit a $1,000 grant from the 1944 will of the late Edward Richards. Ashley Road residents complained trash was uncollected for two days at times. The police committee would buy new uniforms and set vacation times for officers. Harold Boyd and Mollie Handloff received building permits.
Dentists Smith, Creamer and Musselman met with council for more discussion on adding fluoride to town water. Medical doctors and veterinarians would be consulted as the next move. Work on Chambers Street could not be done until water line was installed. Residents on Prospect Avenue complained about smoke from Blue Hen Laundry. The George brothers, who owned the business, would be contacted.