The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
October-November 1949: The town ordered a study on various insurance policies held by the town, especially as pertaining to the police department. Town ordinances and laws needed to be organized.
William Warwick applied for permission to conduct a funeral home at his residence on South College Avenue, which was in a residential district. He would be provided with necessary information and procedures to follow. The meter reader authorized to purchase winter clothes: one each pants, coat, cap and two shirts. Additional lighting on Academy Street was authorized. Bids on snow removal were being requested.
When Elmer Ellison returned to work from sick leave, he would be asked to prepare complete maps and descriptions of town water system. Mrs. Charles Moore was paid $5.05 for doing ambulance laundry. Collection of trash would continue twice a month through November. Neighbors objected to the rezoning of five acres between Orchard and Elkton roads for apartments.
A study would be made of extending East Cleveland Avenue to Capitol Trail and asking the state or county for help in the endeavor. George Read Village residents objected to plan for extending Delaware Avenue through the neighborhood. Council asked for a recommendation of a street south of Delaware Avenue, east from South Chapel. Making Haines Street one way between Main and Delaware was considered. B&O Railroad would be asked for a grant of land to widen Elkton Road at Main Street. UD would be asked to provide parking for students and employees. Possibility of enlarging parking lot behind Methodist Church, Sheaffer’s and Fader’s.