The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a regular column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
January-February 1951: No procedure established for naming new streets; perhaps use names of WWII casualties from Newark. Police protection was needed for school children crossing New London Road. Need for additional water supply and increased sewer capacity discussed. Water could possibly be drawn from White Clay Creek. Draft plan for extending town limits authorized.
Developers wanted to build approximately 200 “pre-cut” single family homes on the Wilson tract and duplex homes between Academy and South College. They were told to submit plans and specifications. Two regular council meetings per month were authorized. George Martin/Leamon Crossan and Wilbur Moore/Harry Letner wanted taxi permits, but none were needed as long as insurance and Public Utility Commission rules were followed.
New voting lists to be prepared for upcoming election. J. Dougherty received extension on his house-moving permit. Open ditch behind Wilbur Street needed culvert and fill. Town needed a merit system for employee salary increases. Mr. Carter, owner of a farm on Marrows Road, wanted to know how annexation would affect his taxes.
Red Men’s Home on Indian Road had not paid its road construction assessment. Rights-of-way negotiations started for extension of Delaware Avenue to Tyre Avenue. School bus service would be impacted by extending town limits. Number 337 E. Main was purchased by a tax-exempt organization (not recorded) and removed from tax roll. Newark was growing: an assistant town engineer was needed, and an electrician vacancy was filled. Fiscal year audit needed but with new auditors per rules.