The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a regular column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
July-August 1951: The State Highway Department withdrew its agreement to maintain certain streets as presented last month and would submit a new proposal.
Electric service truck needed $210 in repairs. A charge would be made for breaking street to lay water lines to residences. Water cooler purchased for city office. A city planning board was being organized. Annexations to city could now be finalized with passing of new city charter. Enough land for extension of Haines Street would be acquired from Mrs. Green by condemnation. Venetian blinds and window shades were ordered for new city offices and council chamber.
Warner Pictures was interested in taking news films in town. Two developers presented plans to expand areas of town. Harold Gwaltney wanted to build a miniature golf course at East Cleveland and McKee’s Lane. Those installing electric ranges got an adjustment on electric rates. Chrysler must install a temporary septic tank until County Christiana Interceptor sewer was completed by Levy Court.
Paving was so bad on Main Street that city would make temporary repairs although State Highway Department was responsible for maintenance of street. Rights-of-way purchases were needed to extend Winslow and Sunset Roads to Elkton Road.
Parking would be prohibited on parts of Annabelle Street and Beverly Road. Council would sell names and addresses to businesses for advertising purposes at 5 cents per name. Collins Realty wanted to duplicate Simonds Gardens houses at the south end of Lumbrook Park.