The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a regular column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
April-May 1951: After the election, council was composed of Drs. Johnson and Downes, and Messrs. Diehl, Durnall, Hill, Coverdale, and Rankin. Daylight Saving Time in effect after last Sunday in April. All town employees to be reappointed for ensuing year. Former Councilman Norris Wright died, condolences sent to family.
Moose Lodge could hold carnival on South Chapel Street, provided all ordinances obeyed. New charter would award all new businesses a 10-year tax break, including Chrysler. VFW Post 475 was granted permission to exhibit “Hitler Armored Car” in Newark with no permit fee.
Although Council agreed with Newark Recreational Association as to the need for year-round programs, they couldn’t commit to $2,500 per year funding without going back to the taxpayers. Forty first-aid books were purchased for the Civil Defense Committee, with books to be property of Council after classes completed. A skating pond in the rear of an East Main Street garage was drained for summer. Lewis Anderson has ignored his sewer assessment for a year, so collection process started. Lewis Braxton’s estate to be sold at Sheriff’s sale to satisfy tax lien. Census enumerators for Newark were appointed by councilmen.
The Chamber of Commerce recommended parking meter funds be used to improve off-street parking. Five thousand parking tickets were ordered. The State Highway Department suggested some one-way streets to alleviate traffic problems. Newark Kiwanis Club wanted Council’s support for a local hospital. Council was urged by merchants to endorse plans to extend East Cleveland and East Delaware avenues.