The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
October-November 1949: Chamber of Commerce would be consulted concerning unloading zones on Main Street. The town would mark temporary lines on Lovett Avenue for a bicycle rodeo. Council would install/remove and furnish power for Christmas lights Dec. 15 to Jan. 1. Although Tom Campbell had only been employed five months, he would be paid for 17 days missed due to illness.
Council planned to use the county property assessment instead of one specific to Newark. A town employee would be sent to Wilmington once a month to make copies of any new assessment cards. Council would meet twice a month starting in November.
A flood light would be installed to illuminate the Memorial Monument and a dedication ceremony was held Nov. 13. The old wooden board was to be removed and handled respectfully. Council wanted to know state’s plans for extending East Cleveland Avenue.
Town water tanks needed enlarging and re-conditioning. Leaves and other refuse could be burned in town with permission from the fire marshal. Electrical service improvements were made to the university field house on North College Avenue. Walter Beswick had $14 in damage to his car due to a stub of pole extending beyond curb on Delaware Avenue.
Bid to install individual water meters in George Read Village homes went to Daniel Stoll of Newark. Adding automatic pumps at town wells going out for bids. A Christmas parade would be held Dec. 10. Planting of trees between sidewalk and street banned. Any trees under 2 inches in diameter and 4 feet tall must be removed.