The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a regular column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
February-March 1951: Mr. Sheppard’s request for water service on Ogletown Road was tabled because his property was outside town limits. Mary Richards and Harold Sheaffer each received $1 rent for town electric poles on their property. The drainage ditch from B&O railroad tracks was causing flooding on East Cleveland Avenue.
Streets needed repair work with hot-patch mix in spring. The state highway department agreed to handle repairs to town streets that were connecting links to state highways. Complaints received about trash dumping on west side of New London Road were turned over to Fire Marshall and Board of Health. More applications received for liquor licenses, but were tabled to allow citizen comment later. No quorum for March 13th regular council meeting, so moved to next night.
Two monitors from each district appointed for town election and town solicitor would be at polling place which would be in Aetna Fire Hall. Patrolman William Mote suffered a heart attack; emergency help would be employed as needed by Chief Cunningham. O’Daniel Post, American Legion, received usual $350 donation toward Memorial Day parade.
Danita Hosiery officials were not complying with town order to provide off-street parking for employees. Council would hold up action against them for six weeks. Announcement of a police training school run by State Police reached Council too late to participate. Council proposed asking Levy Court for permission to join planned county sewer interceptor which would be coming to Chrysler property.