The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
December 1948: The Episcopal Church was told that street tree trimming and removal was its responsibility. Council wanted to be reimbursed for wiring removed and disposed of by DP &L. Council asked the town engineer for a report on the feasibility of installing a diesel generator to augment electricity supply. Bids were sought for a new pick-up truck.
January-February 1949: Council would encourage residents of Gray’s Lane to connect to the city water supply. Councilman Dann suggested a provision for a hotel should be inserted in zoning ordinance, which was being updated.
Dr. Musselman, DDS, spoke to Council about adding sodium fluoride to city water as dental health practice. Council suggested he present the measure to PTA members for comment.
A pension plan for city employees was being worked on. In ongoing discussion of new charter, it was mentioned that the city population was 6,000. The International Order of Red Men agreed to pay up to $6,000 for the paving of Indian Road.
The Delaware car of the French Gratitude Train was to visit Newark and present gifts to schools and civic organizations. The local committee welcoming the train requested a parade permit. which was granted. The owners of Collier property on Creek Road near Tweed’s Mill offered council an option to buy their water plant to augment water supply. A feasibility study was authorized. Rittenhouse Motors and Ray Elliott won gasoline contracts for next three months. Street lights for lower Kells Avenue were authorized. Officer Robinson was granted 15-day leave to take the state police examination.