The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a regular column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
June-July 1951- Newark High’s request for lights on its baseball field rejected because the town couldn’t afford it. (At this time Newark Special School District was still an independent entity, financed primarily by the city.)
The tax rate for 1951 was set at 30 cents/hundred dollars with Councilman Coverdale voting “nay.” Parking limited to two hours on parts of South Chapel Street, Wyoming Road and Ashley Raod. The university’s brick wall on Academy Street in serious need of repair. Interest-free Federal loans for infrastructure could be applied for.
Dr. Krejci needed water and sewer lines to his property on Haines Street. City would install, and Dr. Krejci liable for cost of sewer. Registration and election days for new Charter referendum were set, with information to be printed in the Newark Post. Permission granted for Aetna to use city addressograph machine for advertising of their carnival.
Edward Blincoe approached Council about obtaining water and sewer for 720 new single family homes near McClellandsville. Request taken under advisement. State Theater owner Handloff and town came to agreement on metering of air conditioning electrical usage in theater. A dead-end sign was needed at Tyre and Delaware Avenues. New fees for building permits were set. Requests were being received to extend Haines Street. Magazine peddlers were canvassing without permits. Police would be furnished with copy of ordinance to be enforced. Council would pay fee of $42.50/year for city solicitor to join Municipal Lawyers Association. Worked stopped on electric line on North Street until right-of-way was established.