Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
September-October 1947: Council would discuss a special water rate for Chrysler Motor Parts plant after the facility was in operation. Council agreed to sell $10,000 in bonds if needed to pay for street work.
Ray Elliott complained that a temporary building erected by Newark Lumber interfered with his Sunoco business because westbound drivers could not see his station. Newark Lumber was requested to move building back 25 feet or dismantle it. Frank Nardo, owning property on McKee’s Lane, but outside town limits, asked to connect his property to town sewer. He would be allowed to, provided he agreed to pay a yearly fee to be determined by council. All garbage placed for collection by the town truck must be in proper storage containers.
Leonard Fossett wanted a license to sell intoxicating beverages, but council said the current three such places were sufficient in town. The request was tabled for further study. Ed Soboleski was refused a permit to build a small hosiery knitting shop on Haines Street.
The traffic count at Academy and East Park did not show need for automatic light. Specifications for sanitary sewer on Dallam Road were ordered. The board of health was ordered to inspect the Newark Inn. Health codes from various cities were being gathered to use as models for updating Newark code. State board of health was also being consulted. Restaurants would be tested for cleanliness. David Minus of Wilson Street was ordered to connect all his properties to sanitary sewer within 10 days.
See the original minutes at Pencader Heritage Museum, 2029 Sunset Lake Road. (Rt. 72 south of Newark.) Regularly open first and third Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Other times by appointment.