The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
August-September 1948: Phillips Packing was allowing waste from its operation to enter a stream. Action would be taken against a few properties still not connected to sanitary sewer. Sewer serving Nottingham Manor was emptying into headwaters of Christina Creek. W. Hamilton was appointed to the Charter Committee and Assessment Board.
Tyre Avenue needed grading. Clarification was needed on road construction in the Kadow Development. A sump pump was purchased for $52. Temporary storage permitted in front of Methodist Church, area not to exceed length of two automobiles. Ray Elliott won contract to supply premium gasoline to city for three months at .29 cents/gallon. Regular gasoline to be purchased from George Martin at 19 centers per gallon.
Better street was lighting needed on Annabelle Street and in George Read Village. Andres Hackett of New London Road was permitted to tap into water line. Council was to discuss the city pension plan at a special meeting. Dr. Musselman, a dentist, recommended fluoridating city water to aid in tooth decay prevention. A complaint was entered against George Roberts for adding to his house on Courtney Street without a permit. Council would furnish Herman Wollaston with sewer service on Water Works Lane, at his expense, should he purchase said property from Mrs. Mary Richards.
Mr. Noble of Bassett Place asked relief from flooding problems during heavy rain. The city bought a new police car from Fader Motors. Miss Fader’s Gift Shop received permit for interior and exterior alterations. Mr. Soule was appointed to committee to draft a building code for city.