Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
April 1948: Robert Gallaher and Frank Lutton were appointed election officers at a fee of $8 per election. There was controversy about installing a storm sewer on Beverly Road, so no decision was made at this time. Eighteen property owners from West Main, Old Oak, and Dallam signed a petition against apartments planned for Dallam Road.
Outside electric meters were being installed in George Read Village, and homeowners wanted itemized statement of costs. James Aiken complained that Harrison Roberts moved an objectionable dwelling from the rear to the front of a lot on Courtney Street. Agreement eventually reached, and installation of 600 feet of 48-inch storm sewer began on Beverly Road. Dr. Silverman requested “No Parking” signs on either side of his driveway, as parked cars had blocked his driveway delaying his answering emergency calls.
Building permits issued: C. Johnson for kitchen alterations, W. George alterations for porch, E. Mayer and W. Calhoun for private garages. DP&L was authorized to proceed with phase two of improvements to Newark electrical service.
A proposed war memorial was under discussion between council and the VFW. Council offered DP&L $1 per year rental to build north side sewer pumping station on their land being agreeable to going as high as $10 per year, providing negotiations did not take more than two days. Newton Sheaffer notified council he was retiring from business. Town trucks were made available for American Red Cross scrap metal drive. Council agreed to pay George Brinton $150 per year to establish a town dump on his property.
See the original minutes at Pencader Heritage Museum, 2029 Sunset Lake Road. (Rt. 72 south of Newark.) Regularly open first and third Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Other times by appointment.