Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
October-November 1947: Seven residents of Wyoming Road requested their house numbers not be changed just to comply with established numbering policy. Council decided they could retain their numbering system, but new houses would have to conform. William Barnard wanted to know what council planned for an East Cleveland Avenue extension and the north side sewer system, as it would mostly go through his land. Council would let him know at a later date.
Police Chief Cunningham suggested allowing parking on just one side of some streets and making Haines traffic one-way (south). Dr. John Downes recommended council take steps to improve unsightly and unsanitary conditions on public land and provide additional trash collections. Dr. Cox received a permit to erect a concrete block laundry building behind 172-174 East Main St.. Councilman John Richard died, and Mr. Wheeless was name to fill his unexpired term. Mr. Richards died September 11, 1947, and had been on council since 1936.
An obnoxious odor was being released by National Vulcanized Fibre, and there were complaints. Southern States wanted to slaughter live stock at its Newark Locker Plant on Elkton Road and would be allowed to do so under strict conditions if no one objected after the project was advertised in Newark Post. A town group wanted Delaware Avenue extended east from Chapel Street. UD President Dr. Carlson was concerned about students being arrested on traffic violations. Council would meet with him concerning the subject. Several people protested fines for traffic violations at Chapel and Main streets.
See the original minutes at Pencader Heritage Museum, 2029 Sunset Lake Road. (Rt. 72 south of Newark.) Regularly open first and third Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Other times by appointment.