The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
February-March 1950 – A 5 percent discount was allowed if electric bill was paid within 15 days of due date. State police invited Newark to send officers to a fingerprint reading course, co-sponsored by FBI. A new sewage pump for the East Park Place station was needed. All changes to the water and/or sewage systems had to have approval from state board of health, including adding fluoride to city water. Fluoridating water was still very controversial in town.
An investigation would determine why a temporary police officer earned more than regular officers. Drainage problems at Elkton Road and Main Street needed action. Messrs. Hodgson and McKay from the university would work with council concerning electric meters on campus. The magistrate collected $280 in fine for January. Canada Dry Ginger Ale Company, asking for names and addresses of everyone in town, was told to contact Chamber of Commerce. Mrs. Ruth Mayne establishing a Welcome Wagon project, requested names and addresses of all new electric customers, which was approved.
Louis Handloff asked if there be a referendum on opening Sunday movies added to the ballot for the upcoming election. A favorable motion was passed with Councilman Wheeless the only nay. Earl Dougherty received permission to move a house from West Park to Sunset Road, providing he pay for any damages to streets. Cuthbert Webber was assured water, sanitary sewer, storm sewer, curbs, gutters and paved street would be available when he built a house at Winslow and Beverly roads.