Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
January-March 1948: In keeping with the rotation of buying from local merchants, Dennison Motors would provide all gasoline to the town for three months at 19.5 cents/gallon. Dr. Carl Rees entered into a special water purchase agreement with council, ensuring it would extend town water to his property. Dr. Donoho was granted a permit to build a dwelling and office on South College Aveue.
The Visiting Nurses Association got a $100 donation. Mr. Shakespeare of Farmers Trust offered blanket liability insurance for council, which was taken under advisement. Howard Evans got a permit for a one-story dwelling on Continental Avenue. J. Rumer resigned as alderman. Specifications for south side sewer construction were authorized.
Councilman Dann wanted Corbit Street closed to traffic on certain hours whenever the street was suitable for sledding. Messrs. Gibbs and Hamilton were granted building permits for sites on Orchard Road with the stipulation that no sanitary sewer would be available until September. Councilman Wollaston was granted a permit to build on Courtney Street.
Mrs. Holton appeared before council and requested “No Parking” signs on Kent Way as student parking was causing problems. No action would be taken until a meeting with UD President Carlson to work our suitable relief parking. If no plan could be worked out, Council would re-address Mrs. Holton’s request. A motion was passed opposing licensing of additional establishments selling alcohol. Power was granted to the police department to restrict parking as needed for emergency purposes and other parking restrictions would be enforced.
See the original minutes at Pencader Heritage Museum, 2029 Sunset Lake Road. (Rt. 72 south of Newark.) Regularly open first and third Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Other times by appointment.