The Pencader Heritage Museum has been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes and shares excerpts with Newark Post readers in a regular column. The museum, at 2029 Sunset Lake Road, is open the first and third Saturdays of each month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and every Wednesday noon to 4 p.m.
April 1951: First mention made of trying to plan a bypass starting at east end of town and going south along Pennsylvania Railroad connecting with Depot Road (now South College Avenue) It would probably hinge on agreement by UD to crossing their property somewhere. UD President Perkins would be contacted.
Newark NAACP thanked council for efforts to improve housing situation in New London Road community. Ordinance enacted closely regulating trailer homes. William Barnard’s request for permission to build a trailer park on Cleveland Avenue extension was tabled. Weaver Pangburn presented a summary of recommendations for a year-round recreational program. No action taken. Building alterations costing less than $200 did not need a permit provided no structural parts or building lines involved.
Newly developed area of Dallam Road to receive two street lights. Lights installed on country club property would be at club expense. One thousand copies of new charter would be printed for distribution around town. No action taken on Chamber of Commerce’s request for help in financing a folder advertising Newark. Smoke from idling coal-fired engines on Pomeroy Railroad was termed a “public nuisance.”
Numerous residents of George Read Village reinforced their objections to plans linking Delaware Avenue with Tyre Avenue. Two temporary police officers would be appointed. To make Academy Building suitable for town offices, alterations needed approval of Academy trustees. Edith Murray, 51 Elkton Road, complained of serious storm sewer problems on her property.