This week’s Out of the Attic item is a 1941 photo of Rittenhouse Motor Company.
Founded by Cyrus Rittenhouse around 1928, the business was located on South College Avenue, between Main Street and Delaware Avenue – where the University of Delaware’s Trabant University Center is today.
The business later moved to Academy Street just south of the intersection of Delaware Avenue and eventually next to city hall on South Main Street. After changing its name to Newark Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, it closed a decade ago. However, the Rittenhouse name continues on as the name of the apartment complex (Rittenhouse Station) that replaced the dealership.