This week’s Out of the Attic item is a photograph of the Oaklands Mansion taken in 1964 just before it was demolished.
The Oaklands neighborhood in Newark sits on land that once was a working farm owned by Rathmell Wilson. The Oaklands mansion that Wilson built there in the first half of the 19th century went on to become a social hub under the tenancy of his three unmarried granddaughters, the “Misses Wilson,” who hosted many parties and offered dance lessons.
The last of the three sisters died in 1958, and the Oaklands mansion was demolished in 1964 to pave the way for suburban development. It was located at approximately where 202 Sypherd Drive is today.
Out of the Attic is produced in partnership with the Newark Historical Society. The Newark History Museum is located in the old train station under the South College Avenue bridge is open by appointment December through March. Admission is free. For more info, call 302-234-4145 or visit www.newarkdehistoricalsociety.org. Do you have an old photo to share with Newark Post readers? Contact editor Josh Shannon at 443-907-8437 or jshannon@newarkpost online.com.