This week’s Out of the Attic item is an early photo of the Newark New Century Club.
Built on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. S. J. Wright, the clubhouse cornerstone was set on Sept. 7, 1916. The building was completed on the corner of East Delaware Avenue and Haines Street in 1917.
Besides club programs, the building was also used as a recreation space for military personnel during both world wars, a community center for local youth, an activity center for such organizations as the Red Cross and Blood Bank of Delaware and a rental space for weddings and events.
It was sold and demolished in 2014 and replaced with a student apartment building.
Out of the Attic is produced in partnership with the Newark Historical Society. The Newark History Museum, located in the old train station under the South College Avenue bridge is open Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m. Admission is free. For more info, call 302-234-4145 or visitwww.newarkdehistoricalsociety.org. Do you have an old photo to share with Newark Post readers? Contact editor Josh Shannon at 443-907-8437 or email@example.com.