• February 26, 2015

Out of the Attic - Newark Post: Local

Out of the Attic

54 East Main Street circa 1920

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:00 am | Updated: 12:43 am, Fri Mar 15, 2013.

This week's Out of the Attic item is an undated photograph circa 1920 of little Catherine Gregg in front of her grandmother Catherine Pemberton's house at 54 East Main Street. Thirty years later the house was lower and remodeled for a store. For many years, the site was then occupied by Peggy Cronin's Fashions. The house to the right became Vera's, another popular ladies apparel store. In the first half of the 20th century many Main Street homes had the open porches such as seen at the Pemberton house. Residents would sit out after dinner and on Sundays visiting with neighbors and passers-by from the surrounding farms and villages. Note the varied architecture of the buildings.

Visit the Newark History Museum located at the historic passenger train station on South College Avenue. The museum will be open Sunday afternoons from 2 to 5 p.m. April through November. Visitors are also welcome at other times by appointment for individuals, groups, clubs, or organizations. Call 368-9845 for arrangements. The Newark Historical Society invites donations or loans of objects, stories, pictures and other artifacts of places, activities, people, and life styles in the Greater Newark Area for its permanent collections.
Contact the Newark Historical Society by voice mail at 302-224-2408, by postal mail to P. O. Box 711, Newark, DE 19715, or by email to newarkdehistoricalsociety@yahoo.com.
  • Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

This week's issue

Follow Us

Featured Events

CREATE AN EVENT

Find us on Facebook

Twitter

Featured Events

CREATE AN EVENT