Whole Foods Market opened the doors to its newest store in Glen Mills on Wednesday at 475 Wilmington West Chester Pike (Route 202) near the Delaware line. The 38,000 square-foot upscale grocery store occupies the site of a former Genuardi's supermarket that had been closed.
The Concord Pike area in Delaware had long been mentioned as a location for the store, but the Texas chain opted to move to the location and not face potentially difficult rezoning and development battles.
The store features a café seating 63 and outdoor patio boasting 46 seats and a wood-fired pizza oven, which uses local oak. Also featured is a prepared foods section with meals made by in-store chefs.
"We are eager to debut and share our new store with the Glen Mills community as we have so much to offer" said John Frei, store team leader for Whole Foods Market Glen Mills. "In addition to providing a wide selection of delicious, all-natural and organic foods customers have come to expect, we're thrilled to introduce new services and destinations such as Brew and Brau, Cooking Glen Mills and to spotlight our skilled chefs with the Prepared Foods Chef Case featuring innovative dishes."
Brew & Brau is an organic coffee bar and pub serving fresh brewed coffee, beer on tap and a pub food menu. The 26-seat bar, located inside the store, will have eight local beers on tap and specialty coffees, including single-origin varieties and local roasts.
Additionally, Yards Brewing- one of Philadelphia's first craft breweries is crafting an exclusive beer recipe on draft for the opening of the new store.
Shoppers at the new location will also be able to visit Whole Foods Market's new Cooking Glen Mills department and program, which combines designated workspaces, cookbooks, cooking tools, demonstrations, and themed, seasonal menus.
- Value-conscious grocery items to satisfy families of all sizes: 365 Everyday Value products from organic milk to frozen vegetables and thousands of products priced on sale daily.
- Whole Body features premium body care products such as made in house bath salt and sugar scrubs.
-Prepared Foods section offering Neapolitan-style pizza, organic salad bar and hot food bar that includes daily chef themed meals ready to eat.
- Locally sourced produce, Whole Trade bananas, mangoes and pineapples and cut organic fruits and vegetables.
- Seafood sourced locally and from around the world and certified by the Marine Stewardship Council. The department also has a color-coded rating program, in partnership with Blue Ocean Institute and Monterey Bay Aquarium, which provides shoppers with sustainability status for all wild-caught seafood not certified by the MSC.
- Floral department stocked with locally sourced items, including Whole TradeTM roses, fresh cut mixed bouquets, local tulips, potted hydrangeas, fresh tulips and other plants.
- Cultivate, the garden center, featuring varietals, hanging baskets, herbs, vegetables, bedding plants, local potting soil, compost, garden tools and a stunning variety of heirloom and organic seeds.
- Bakery department featuring conventional and kosher goods, gluten-free products, boutique cupcakes, in-house-made challah bread and over 30 tea cookie varieties.
- Full-service cheese counter offering the finest cheeses from around the world, along with fresh local pasta, sauces, specialty chocolates and candy, and a self-serve olive and pickle bar.
- The full service meat department, with skilled butchers cutting in-house, offers an extensive line of locally sourced selections, raised without the use of antibiotics or added growth hormones.
- The café features a repurposed five year-old red fire doors that came from a fire house in Virginia. Other green elements include energy saver dairy doors and reclaimed/ repurposed wood throughout the store.
Founded in 1980 in Austin, Texas, Whole Foods Market offers natural and organic food.
With 60,000 team members, Whole Foods Market has been ranked as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" in America by Fortune magazine for 14 consecutive years. In fiscal year 2010, the company had sales of more than $9 billion and currently has more than 300 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.